18.9.12

Lady In Red Born To Sing!


Liverpool Lass Melanie C has released a musical masterpiece in the shape of brand new album Stages. It is the sixth album from Sporty Spice and it is her most vocally sound record to date. The album is inspired by musical theatre and songs that have meant something to Melanie in her life.

This album features a fantastic duet with Emma Bunton on 'I Know Him So Well' from the musical Chess. Its brilliant to hear their voices together on a mid tempo ballad. It reminds me of the Spice Girls Forever album.

I remember Melanie appearing on backing vocals for the b-side track Merry-Go-Round on Emma's debut solo single What Took You So Long single. Also their voices suit really well as they dominated some of the amazing ballads on Forever.

Stand out tracks are Another Hundred People, its uptempo track and its the first time we have heard Melanie singing so fast. Her voice is very strong on this track and its great to hear. The song is about the excitement of city life and its fast pace as described on her website.

Aren't You Kinda Glad We Did is a sparkly ballad about forbidden love, Melanie really suits singing in jazz style. Hopefully a jazz album will be future project? I would love to see her in a smokey jazz club singing this album. Or just a theatre in Manchester would be good :)

Both Sides Now, Something Wonderful and Maybe This Time are all from musicals and they really showcase her range and strength that she has learnt from appearing in Blood Brothers doing 8 shows a week for six months and of course two extra weeks in Liverpool.

I really enjoy listening to this album especially the upbeat tracks like Aint Got No / I Got Life and I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself.

I was excited to hear Tell Me It's Not True from Blood Brother's recorded as I loved hearing this when I was lucky enough to see her in the show in London and Liverpool. It is a great song on the album, but it does not quite capture the raw emotion that she portrayed so brilliantly live on stage.

I personally love the itunes only version of Anything Goes. I just love her voice on this song, I have always been a fan of the song but Melanie takes it to a new level. It was originally written by Cole Porter for his musical Anything Goes in 1934. It has dated lyrics to the present day, but its cheeky story throughout really suits Melanie's playful personality.

Also look out for the single from the album 'I Don't Know How To Love Him' which she will singing live on stage for the arena tour of Jesus Christ Superstar from next week.



'Stages' is out now!
Tickets for the JCS Tour are on sale with extra dates added